Wednesday, May 12, 2010

“get out the map + lay your finger anywhere down” – indi-go-go girls

Luc's-Trip-Maptoday was laundry day. tomorrow is packing day. oh yeah, and sparkle-the-house-up-so-it-will-feel-good-to-come-home-to day. 
i made this map for lucas after asking my twitter/facebook friends for advice on how to keep my four year old entertained on the loooong roadtrip to grammy’s house. only when he saw the map he said, “well – that’s not very far, mom!” we’ll see how he feels when we get to pendleton. when we pass each stop i have a little toy or activity for him to open and play with until we reach the next stop. a new cd, some dvd’s, and stacks and stacks of new-to-us library books.
++++
we made this trip alot when i was little. each of us girls got our own suitcase and our own special activities and snacks that we couldn’t tear into until we actually hit the highway. sometimes we’d even spend the night out in the car so that my parent’s wouldn’t have to wake us when they took off early in the morning. we’d fold the back seat down and make the ultimate barbie house while listening to books on tape and singing disney songs. the same stops. la grande – then boise. mountain home a half hour later if we had to. i still remember what it felt like to pull into my grammy’s drive way. grandpa on the porch having a nervous smoke waiting for us to get there safely. gram inside with beds made up on the floor for all of us girls and listening to my mom stay up late chatting – so happy to be home.
++++
the yellow bedroom at the top of my parents’ stairs is waiting for me and my boys. i can’t wait for gavin to meet the dogs. and lucas to meet up with his cousin’s that we’ve been missing so badly. a snuggle from little regg and the smell of steen’s perfume. paying kody to detail my car, dinner made by nat, a cupcake with jade, going to morning coffee with my dad, sinking into my mom’s striped chair, dinner out someplace real with amy, a  birthday for pres, new walking shoes for jackie-boy, feed the ducks with gram and cam. oh! and a first ultrasound glimpse at babe-in-belly!
++++
i’m going home.

10 comments:

  1. well howdy, how did you make that cute map?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe trip to all of you. You better post as soon as you know what that baby is inside of that belly of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Utah was always visiting Grandma Trujillo and going to your grandparents. I loved going to the hotel your grandma worked at, hanging out at the house with your Aunt Amy, and of course, listening to your grandpa tease while we were on the porch so he could smoke. I miss him.
    And I am so glad to go visit again next week, seeing you and that wonderful mama of yours, catching up with your grandma and aunties. And I hope to find out that we are both having... daughters? Lots of hope, but happiness either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, great! We are making the trip next week and I love the "open at such and such city" idea. I thik this will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the map! Have a fun trip in that shiny new van of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so happy for you and your sweet family. i know how excited you all for this adventure.

    and the map! you'll have to teach me those skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely lin, i'm so happy for you and your boys! i have butterflies for you. i remember what i felt like to pull into grandma's house in colorado. here's to great weather and safe travel. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your map is SO rad! I hope you have a fun trip to the "big" city. Eat at Pei Wei for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time you go let me know and I will go with you I have a sister in Salt Lake that I could go and stay at. That would be fun. Love ya Lana

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wish i couldve seen u pretty girl-- and ur lil boys, and your CUTE belly!! :) next time---

    ReplyDelete